Some folks fell in love with the mountains and valleys and decided to do things a little differently. Folks built up a small community so that they could live a particular quality of life unique to Tucker County. From education to health care, and senior living to real estate, one thing you always find is that Tucker County is a great place to live.
Tucker County places a strong priority on providing its students with a well-rounded and quality education. Currently, approximately 1,053 students are enrolled in Tucker County public schools which include Davis-Thomas Elementary-Middle School, Tucker Valley Elementary-Middle School, and Tucker County High School. With an average class size of 15, students receive greater attention from teachers than larger districts.
Tucker County Board of Education – 501 Chestnut Street, Parsons, WV 26287 - 304.478.2771
- Davis-Thomas Elementary/Middle School – Quail Ridge Drive, Thomas, WV 26292 – 304.463.4422
- Tucker Valley Elementary/Middle School – 81 Tucker Valley School Road, Hambleton, WV 26269 – 304.478.3606
- Tucker County High School – 116 Mountain Lion Way, Hambleton, WV 26269 – 304.478.3725
- Mountain Laurel Learning Cooperative is a group of parents, community members, and educators interested in providing a unique learning experience to local students. The Early Education Program is a Montessori based program for ages three through eight facilitated by a Montessori-certified instructor.
PO Box 304, Davis, WV 26260 – email@example.com
NEARBY POST-SECONDARY SCHOOLS
- Davis & Elkins College - Elkins, WV
- Fairmont State University - Fairmont, WV
- Frostburg State University - Frostburg, MD
- Garrett College - McHenry, MD
- Pierpont Community & Technical Schools - Fairmont, WV
- West Virginia University - Morgantown, WV
- West Virginia Wesleyan College - Buckhannon, WV
Two public libraries serve Tucker County – Five Rivers Public Library in Parsons and Mountaintop Public Library in Thomas. Both locations are ADA accessible and offer free wireless internet, public-use computers, e-book and audiobook support, as well as a broad selection of reading and video materials.
Photo courtesy of Five Rivers Public Library, Parsons.
Fiver Rivers Public Library recently expanded and updated, including a new public meeting room.
- June-August: Monday – 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday & Friday –– 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday – 9 a.m.-noon
- September-May: Monday - 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Tuesday & Friday – 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; Saturday – 9 a.m.-noon
301 Walnut Street, Parsons, WV 26287 – 304.478.3880 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo courtesy of Mountaintop Public Library, Thomas.
An expansion of Mountaintop Public Library is in the planning and fundraising stages.
- Monday & Wednesday – 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday & Thursday – 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Friday – 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday – closed
284 Second Street, P.O. Box 217, Thomas, WV 26292 – 304.463.4582 – email@example.com
Walk-ins, Appointments, Pharmacy – Patients with acute, non-emergent conditions, like sore throats, and ear aches, and unexpected injuries, like burns, sprains, strains, and cuts, can be seen at DirectCare on a walk-in basis.
149 Ivy Lane, Parsons, WV 26287 – 304.478.2511
Mountaintop Clinic: Direct Patient Care
72 Cortland Acres Lane, Thomas, WV 26292 – 304.259.5588
St. George Medical Clinic: Direct Patient Care
- Monday-Friday – 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday – closed
8591 Holly Meadows Road, Parsons, WV 26287 – 304.478.3339
Primary care, mental health care, lab testing, immunizations, and preventive health services for veterans in Tucker County.
206 Senior Lane, Parsons, WV 26287 – 304.478.2219
Nearby Hospitals & Emergency Services
- Davis Memorial Hospital – 812 Gorman Avenue, Elkins, WV 26241 – 304.636.3300
- Garrett County Memorial Hospital – 251 North Fourth Street, Oakland, MD 21550 – 301.533.4000
Note: Other clinics, physicians, and specialists can be found within an hour drive of Tucker County in Oakland, M.D. and Elkins, W.V. as well as 1+ hours in Buckhannon, W.V., Morgantown, W.V., and elsewhere.
TUCKER COUNTY SENIOR CENTERS
The Tucker County Senior Centers are funded through the WV Bureau of Senior Services, Older Americans Act, Upper Potomac Area Agency on Aging, Shaffer Trust Fund, and private donations from businesses and friends of the center. Membership is available to anyone over 60 years old. They also offer an Associate Membership which is available to anyone over 55 years old.
For more information: 304.478.2434 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Parsons: 206 Third Street, Parsons, WV 26287 – 304.478.2434
- Thomas: Spruce Street, RR 32, Thomas, WV 26292 – 304.463.4425
CORTLAND ACRES NURSING HOME AND REHABILITATION CENTER
"At Cortland Acres, residents enjoy the best of both worlds, beautiful, mountainous surroundings and the advantages of quality, state of the art care. Our 94 bed long term nursing care and skilled rehabilitation center is located on a spacious 35-acre campus in the heart of scenic Tucker County, West Virginia.
The care and services we offer are as unique as each individual. Our comprehensive approach to nursing and rehabilitation care, as well as support services, meets the needs of individuals who require:
- Around the clock skilled nursing services
- Short and long term physical rehabilitation
- Post-hospital and post-surgical care
- Outpatient therapy services
- Memory impairment and dementia services
- Speech therapy services
- Therapeutic and specialized dietary services
- Hospice services
Cortland welcomes visits and provides tours which can be prearranged with an email or telephone call."
39 Cortland Acres Lane, P.O. Box 98, Thomas, WV 26292 – 304.463.4181
Photo courtesy of Cortland Acres Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center